Monday, October 15, 2012

Creativity in Learning & Life


 This week was all about creativity. I watched most of the youtube videos from the Buffalo State website but I'll admit I'm a little behind this week / last week. I thought I'd write a quick blog just after watching the videos as a reflection of what I thought was interesting and why. Yeah, another boring reflection... but in one of the videos about creative thinking there was one about the dynamic balance between divergent and convergent thinking. While I am thinking about the topic I thought I'd use the divergent thinking part right now, to relay all the information I gathered from the videos and then I'll come back later and use that convergent side, to really think about what was important and what I took away from those videos.

So I learned one of many definitions of creativity is "often described as the production of original ideas that are valuable or useful." I also learned about the 2 different levels of creativity; the big c and the little c creativity and lastly the 4 themes of creativity which are product, process, press, and person. I watched the videos on these "4 P's" and I could restate everything that was said in the videos because it was definitely all interesting and made me think... but the "P" I focused on most was the person. It's crazy that the concept creativity can be learned is something new but I know when I was growing up people would say "Oh they were born with X talent" or "Oh Y is in their DNA". It was also interesting to hear that creativity sometimes lead people to think that creative people are always weird people. I thought that was kind of funny... maybe because I like being weird. Well, that's all I got for now. I wish I would've spent more time on these topics but moving on to week 6! If anyone has any comments on anything else about creativity that's worth reading / watching, let me know!

Oh, I also found this website when I googled "Puccio & Murdock," it's a pretty good article:

Creative Leadership

No comments:

Post a Comment